Saturday, June 23, 2012

Far Out Tie Dye

Hello, beauties.

About a week ago, a few friends and I got together and did something I've wanted to do for a while now. We tie dyed t-shirts! Not only is this a fun and easy summer activity, but it gave me something to check off of my Summer Bucket List! (#3) If you're interested in how to go about having your own tie dye session or what I did to create my groovy t-shirt, keep reading!

What you'll need:
  • A tie dye kit - My friend and I bought two tie dye kits which ended up being just enough for us to do 5 decent designs. If you're an inexperienced tie dye-er like I was, I would recommend buying two or three kits. We bought ours at Five Below (for $5) and Target (for $10). They should be easy to find at any multi-purpose store (probably in the craft section).
  • A white t-shirt - You can tie dye almost anything, but we used t-shirts. 100% cotton works best, as if sucks up more of the color to create a more vibrant design.
  • Newspaper, garbage bags, or an open outdoor area - Tie dying can get a little messy, especially if you have clumsy, silly friends like mine. Make sure you have a good area to work with lots of room to move around. We did ours in my friend's kitchen. TIP: Make sure your newspapers or garbage bags are actually creating a barrier. We didn't realize that some of our dye had seeped through onto her counter. Luckily, it came off, but be careful because most dyes will stain.
  • A fun group of friends - Everything's more fun when you have other people to joke around with! Plus, if there's any instructions you don't fully understand, odds are someone in your group will.
  • A decent amount of time - My tie dying session lasted a few hours. Make sure you have enough time on your hands so that you don't feel rushed.
How to do it:

The tie dye kit will come with instructions. Make sure you follow them as closely as you can. Our better kit (the one from Target) came with 4 bottles, gloves, and rubber bands. Make sure to wear the gloves whenever you're in contact with the dye because it will stain your hands. TIP: Wear clothes you don't care too much about just in case things get messy.

Your kit will also come with designs you can make. The easiest ones are the typical centered spiral or a centered bullseye. Depending on what pattern you're hoping to achieve, follow the instructions and just have fun. It doesn't have to be perfect.

When you finish applying your dye, wrap your shirt (with the rubber bands still on it) in saran wrap. Let it sit at least over night before moving on to the next step.

Once you've let your shirt sit over night, unwrap it. Take off the saran wrap and the rubber bands. TIP: Wear gloves when doing this step! Your shirt will not be totally dry. If you don't wear gloves it will stain your hands. Rinse your shirt in cold water until the water runs clean. Be patient. This will take a little longer than you think. But, the more thorough you are, the more happy you'll be in the end. 

Hang your wet shirt on a hanger and put it somewhere to dry. I hung mine outside and left it there for hours. It should be soaked, so obviously it will take a long time to dry.

And, you're done! Congratulations! Enjoy your new creation and show it off to all your friends. Here's my shirt. I did random bullseyes.

I hope this was informative and I've inspired you in some way! Go out and tie dye with some friends this summer. And don't forget to come back and show me your out of sight creations!

What other fun things do you do with friends in the summer time? Let me know in the comments! Have a tubular day, cool cats!

Blog ya later! xx

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! Really want to try this out!

    Stop by and check out my blog giveaway! :)
    http://dawndugong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete